As Walker-Winter Insurance continues to grow, we are looking for a friendly, outgoing Insurance Sales Agent to join us! It’s a full-time position and you might just be a perfect fit. You’ll know it if you’re ready to be a Walker-Winter Insurance team member if you’re known for being helpful, patient, and awesome–particularly when it comes to problem solving and explaining complicated things in a way that anyone can understand.
We love our Walker-Winter Insurance customers, and we want to make sure they love their initial experience. You’ll look forward to every referral and self-generated lead, because it’s an opportunity to help another person gain control of their insurance ensuring that they are protected on their worst day.
That’s a super-brief intro, and there’s a lot more to it. But first, you need to know if you’ll even like working with us. (We think you will.)
A Bit About Us
At Walker-Winter Insurance, we Guide People With Kindness. For more than two decades, people have been using Walker-Winter Insurance and then telling their friends what a difference it has made in their lives. (Google us, or read some of our reviews, and you’ll see what we mean.) We love building something that has a huge positive impact on people’s lives.
We’re profitable and growing 2nd generation independent Insurance agency with locations in Columbia and Fayette, serving the entire state of Missouri.
We’ve combined the power of 10 major national and regional Insurance carriers to give our customers choice and to help guide them to a plan that works best for their needs.
First, let’s talk about life at Walker-Winter Insurance and then we’ll go into detail about what we’re looking for.
Who you’d be working with:
Caleb is our owner and commercial lines manager. He loves helping all commercial clients, but is most passionate about helping non-profits find their best coverage. When he’s not running the agency or working with commercial clients, you can find him hanging out with his wife and daughter, hunting or possibly playing a round of golf.
Kiersten is our team and marketing director. She wholeheartedly believes Walker-Winter Insurance has the best clients on the planet, and loves creating content and helping our team serve them. She also enjoys working with her amazing colleagues, and can’t wait to add you to the mix! She believes everyone brings something unique to the table, and loves learning with and from her team. She has a husband and three kiddos that she loves spending time with and you will find that she rarely misses one of their activities and is thankful for a place to work that allows that freedom.
Cathy is our Senior Customer Service Representative – she is our resident insurance expert. She has been working in the office for 20+ years and knows all the ins and outs of insurance and the companies we work with daily. She will be a wealth of knowledge for you to refer to on the regular and is always happy to help. When she is not in the office you will find her enjoying time with her husband, kids and grandkids. You’re going to love her.
Ruth is the one you will find at the front desk and she is the first voice our customers hear as our Customer Service Representative and Billing Specialist. She also makes sure all of our communication with our customers goes out in a timely manner. When she is not in the office she is spending time with her husband and two dogs.
How You’ll Work at Walker-Winter Insurance
We work really hard to make working at Walker-Winter Insurance an amazing experience. We have a team of truly exceptional people—the kind you’ll be excited to work with. Here’s how we operate:
The first 8-weeks is considered a working trial. We hire people who we believe will be an exceptional fit for the role and the team. You’ll have weekly meetings to discuss your metrics, grow your skill set, and chat about how work is going. After a successful trial, you’ll be a full-fledged member of the team – and we can’t wait!
Work Where You Want
We have offices in Columbia and Fayette, Missouri and you are welcome to work in either location. Due to the nature of this position you will also be responding to customers from home or on the go, but we will provide you with the technology to make that easy!
Take Vacation (Seriously)
We want you to take vacation. It’s important to get out and do something.
How You’re Paid
You will be paid as a W2 employee, with base salary plus commission/bonuses! We also have a Simple IRA that we will match up to 3% of your salary each year.
- After your trial, we DEMAND (in a friendly, ALL CAPS IS YELLING way) that you fill out your “Bucket List” spreadsheet with 50 items. (That’s harder than it sounds!) Good things then follow.
- The bucket list also really helps in deciding what we should give you for your birthday and Christmas. No gift cards here. We tried that. Super boring.
- We have a bonus plan. You’ll be in on that from day one. Walker-Winter Insurance wins, you win. That kind of thing.
- Did I mention we make a huge, positive difference in people’s lives? You may not think that matters much, but then a few months down the road you’ll realize it’s made your job really, really enjoyable. Don’t underestimate this one!
If this sounds like your ideal environment, read on because now I want to talk about you. You will play a big part in helping people find their best insurance plan with Walker-Winter Insurance. You will change lives and give our clients peace of mind. I’ll only say that six more times.
Now, back to you, our new Insurance Sales Agent…
You love problem solving. You’ll have the impossible task of seeing the forest and the trees. You’ll dive into the depths of a customer’s issue, infer from their (sometimes vague) descriptions of exactly what’s going on, anticipate where they’ll trip up next, and clearly explain what they need to do in order to continue having success with Walker-Winter Insurance.
You will be the face of Walker-Winter Insurance. You don’t mind answering the same question multiple times in the same day, because it’s a different customer each time–another chance to make someone’s day. You manage to exceed expectations even when you deliver a different answer than the customer was hoping for.
You’re also technically quite savvy. You know your way around the Windows operating systems, you’re very comfortable with smartphones, and you’re always looking for new ways to make your job more efficient and effective. And maybe the thought of learning how to read software log files is a little exciting.
You’re really good at switching gears. You’ll answer three emails/calls in a row–one about how to get auto insurance, the next about how to get home insurance, and another from a college student who realized they really insurance right now today–and not miss a beat.
You know that speed of response is extremely important, but you can walk that fine line between speed and accuracy. You are a master of being direct and friendly within the same sentence.
You play really nicely with others. You’re flexible. You adapt and adjust. When we implement a new feedback tracking system, it’s your best week ever.
You love to learn. You love constructive feedback because it helps you improve. You pick up conversations mid-stream from a colleague who is off for the weekend, and offer a virtual high-five when the conversation is closed: customer satisfied.
You love taking that one little extra step beyond what’s expected. You’re creative in that way. You consistently force us to ask you questions like, “How did you know the customer meant ‘x’, when he was saying ‘y’ the whole time?”
A Day in the Life…
You always know your schedule, because it’s consistent week after week. Our office hours are 8:30 am to 5 pm. It’s Wednesday, and you’ve opened your laptop to start your shift. Spend a few minutes catching up on just the important updates since yesterday (we have software for that).
It’s the first day of the month, so the queue is busier than usual, but expected. To warm up, you answer just a few of the newest email conversations. It’s an opportunity to really make someone’s day by getting a response within a few minutes.
Now, you’re ready to answer your follow-up replies from yesterday that another team member hasn’t already picked up. Then, you head to the back of the queue and work your way through one conversation after another, oldest to newest. You’re often surprised by the complexity of questions you see, but you’re excited for the challenge each one brings. And you know you can skip the ones beyond your knowledge level, after tagging it with your name so you can learn what you didn’t know. If you don’t know, we encourage you to ask for help from another team member.
Close out the day catching up on any end of day correspondence and getting your to do list prepared for the next day.
Before you know it, it’s time to fill out your quick Daily Reflection and clock out!
You’re the one we’re looking for if:
- You’ll be able to send 50 email/call/text replies in an eight hour day.
- You could flawlessly juggle 10 or more active clients at a time.
- You can help us achieve an average response time of under two hours.
- You can commit to 40 hours per week, with somewhat flexible hours including some work from home or on the go.
- You value excellence and continuous improvement. At the same time.
- You understand how every support response is an expression of the Walker-Winter Insurance culture and brand.
- Other people consider you a stellar communicator.
- You love making people happy.
- People thank you when you deliver difficult news. You’re that good.
- You enjoy trying things you haven’t ever done before.
- You aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- You are wildly productive and independent, but a team-player at heart.
- You already use and love Walker-Winter Insurance.
- You have insurance experience.
- You hold a P&C insurance license
Pay for this role is salaried at $26,000 per year with a straightforward commission schedule and bonuses. Expect to make $30,000-$40,000 your first year with the potential to make more based on your production.
How to Apply
- Apply by 11:59PM on February 15, 2020. Firm. It’s a real deadline.
- Write a cover letter (attach a PDF) introducing yourself. Explain why this position interests you and why you would be a great fit. Cover letters are meant to sell, so sell us!
- At the end of your cover letter, tell us about:
- Your favorite company to be a customer.
- Your secret to good customer support.
- Your availability. We’re hiring someone to start as soon as possible at this time, so please confirm that is ideal for you, and let us know if any days are off limits. (We always want you to exit your current position in a graceful manner so we will be understanding of time to give notice.)
- Attach a pdf resume.
- Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and once it is sent please follow it up with a text stating your full name to 573-217-4796.
Because of the high number of candidates that we usually get, we plan to finish reviewing applications within two weeks. You’ll definitely hear from us either way, whether you’re moving to the next step or not.