A car accident. Storm damage to your home. These are times when you would file a claim with your insurance company. Insurance protects you and your family financially. You hope to never have to actually use your insurance. However, it is possible that at some point in your life you will have some kind of claim.
What is an insurance claim?
A claim is a formal request by a policyholder to an insurance company for coverage or compensation for a covered loss or policy event according to the dictionary. Essentially a claim is what you file if you are in an accident or have damage to a covered piece of property.
How does the insurance claim process work?
Claim Reported → Claim is verified or approved by the insurance company → If approved a check is issued
That is a very simplified timeline, but a good place to start. Sounds simple and sometimes it is a very simple process, but sometimes it can get a little complicated. We want to you to be prepared for a claim so you know what to do to make the process as simple as possible!
If you find yourself with an insurance claim or what you think might be a claim…what do you do?
- Make sure everyone is safe and out of dangers way.
- If necessary…call the police.
- Call your agent to get the claim process started. (If it is after hours there are numbers on your insurance card to call your company directly)
- If you are a customer at Walker-Winter Insurance you can also report a claim via our website here.
- Make notes of the date, time, location and exactly what happened.
- Take pictures of the damage because whether it is an auto accident or storm damage to your home you will want to have the documentation.
- An adjuster is assigned to your claim
- Answer your phone. Your insurance company will need to talk to you directly and they will call you to get all the details.
- Your claim can be approved or denied.
- If approved, a check will be issued.
Additional things to know:
- Your agent is there to help you. If at any point you have questions or don’t understand what or why something is happening call your agent.
- Know your coverages. It is always good to know what your coverages are going into a claim situation. If you don’t know ask your agent or refer back to your policy documents.
- If there is damage that could possibly result in additional weather damage (broken window or roof damage). Go ahead and cover it the best you can after taking pictures to prevent further damage.
- We want you to be confident in your insurance on your best and worst days. If you find yourself in a claim situation, take a breath and remember how to proceed.